IP is an intergenerational community, so regardless of whether one is “low risk” we urge everyone to take precautions in recognition that you may cross paths with IP members, including our Lolos and Lolas, who may be at greater risk according to CDC guidelines.
March 11, 2020 Announcements
Iskwelahang Pilipino Rondalla Spring Performances Suspended
Effective March 11 until further notice, Iskwelahang Pilipino will suspend Spring concerts and performances of the IP Rondalla.
April “Pistang Pinoy” Filipino Cooking Workshop Cancelled
The “Pistang Pinoy” Filipino Cooking Workshop originally scheduled for April 18, 2020 has been cancelled. This is the second workshop of three in the Kwentong Kaldero 2020 series. Registered participants will be contacted via email.
March 10, 2020 Email to Parents: COVID-19 & IP Activities
Dear IP Families:
Like many of you, we at IP have been monitoring the fast-changing coronavirus/COVID-19 situation closely for several weeks now. We recognize that concerns about the virus are real and are committed to putting the safety of our community first. This message covers:
- NEFFA Update
- Town of Bedford Update
- Precautions you can take
- What to expect from IP
Since our last class session, we’ve seen new confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported in the Commonwealth, including cities and towns where our families live. Fortunately, we are not scheduled to convene again until March 22, so we have a bit of time to observe and develop a thoughtful response plan.
NO NEFFA THIS YEAR 😞
You may have already seen the announcement on Facebook. Yesterday, the organizers of the New England Folk Festival formally announced that they have decided to cancel the 2020 NEFFA Festival originally planned for Saturday, April 25. You can find their announcement HERE.
TOWN OF BEDFORD UPDATE
Yesterday, it was reported that a Bedford resident is being screened for coronavirus. He may have been exposed, but is not symptomatic, so he and his family have been quarantined pending test results. At this time, Bedford public schools and town buildings, including Bedford Town Center where IP meets, remain open.
WHAT YOU CAN DO – PRECAUTIONS AND PREVENTION
IP is an intergenerational community, so regardless of whether one is “low risk” we urge everyone to take precautions in recognition that you may cross paths with IP members, including our Lolos and Lolas, who may be at greater risk according to CDC guidelines. Everyday preventive steps are the same as for other respiratory viruses, like the flu. Here are some steps you can take:
- Revisit hand washing lessons taught by the Philippine Nurses Association of New England during their visits to IP in 2018 and 2019. Find the recap on Facebook. Poster of the handwashing song to put by your sink is attached.
- Educate yourself and your family.
• Print and review the attached information sheets from the CDC – a fact sheet and a poster on how to stop the spread of germs.
• Remember that kids have questions, too. Here are guidance and resources from PBS on how to talk to your kids about coronavirus.
- Do not come to IP when you or someone in your household is sick.
- Share your ideas and input for safety and prevention by emailing me at email@example.com.
- Check your email and the IP facebook page regularly for updates.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM IP
IP has convened a small team of board and faculty who work in the education and healthcare fields to monitor the situation and recommend steps to take for the rest of this school year. Together, we will:
- Make informed decisions and recommendations that put our families first.
- Monitor information from reliable sources at the federal, state and local level, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the MA Department of Public Health, the Bedford MA Department of Health and Human Services, and the US Department of State.
- Review and expand IP’s protocol for cancelling classes (currently focused only on snow days) to include health concerns like the current outbreak.
- Welcome the ideas and input of IP members.
• Email me with your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will forward them to the group.
• Especially welcome are your creative ideas for keeping our community connected, should we need to cancel or postpone classes.
- Do our best to avoid unnecessary hysteria and disinformation.
- Share helpful information with our families.
I want to thank all of IP’s volunteers and families for all of your patience, support and input — as well as your diligent efforts to prevent the spread of viruses. Because the situation in Massachusetts is changing day-by-day, we will likely make decisions as the situation evolves. I hope to announce a decision about our upcoming March 22 class session by the end of the week. In the meantime, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Wishing you good health!
Links from This Email:
• NEFFA Announcement: www.neffa.org/a-very-sad-update-about-the-neffa-festival/
• CDC Guidelines for People at Risk: www.cdc.gov/coron…453811
• IP Facebook Page and Hand Washing Song: www.facebook.com/groups/ipbahay/
• PBS How to talk to your kids: www.pbs.org/parents/thrive/how-to-talk-to-your-kids-about-coronavirus
• CDC: www.cdc.gov
• MA DPH: www.mass.gov/resource/information-on-the-outbreak-of-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19
• Bedford DHHS: www.bedfordma.gov
• US State Department: travel.state.gov/content/travel.html